Residential House Rewiring Adelaide
Installations in older homes
Faulty or damaged electrical wiring, fittings and equipment can cause house fires, electric shocks and injuries. The wiring and electrical installations in your home can deteriorate with age, so it is important you ensure that the electrical installations in your home are safety checked regularly. This is especially important because wiring is installed in walls and roof spaces and is generally not visible.
Contact us at Tapp Electrical for an inspection of your wiring – ” Your safety is our priority”
Your Safety is our Priority
The safety of electrical installations in older homes
- If you have not had the wiring checked at your home since you bought the property, or you are not sure when it was last checked, it is recommended that you use a licensed electrician to check it is safe. Some wiring will deteriorate with age and have a limited lifespan.
- If your house was built in the 1960s or earlier, it is very important to have all electrical installations checked by a licensed electrician. Electrical installations of the 1950s and the 1960s were made mainly of lead and rubber sheathed, rubber insulated cables. Some rubber insulated cables also used cotton coverings. Older homes may have used timber ducts in the roofs or metal conduits to run cables. Both of these can cause fires or electric shocks if damaged. Degradation of the insulation material increases the risk of electric shocks to tradespeople and people living in the house and can also cause fires.
- Installing safety switches for all electrical circuits within your home is an effective way of minimising the risk of electric shocks and fires.
- If you are experiencing frequent tripping of circuit breakers or fuses blowing on your switchboard, the electrical wiring in your home may be the cause. You should have your home wiring checked by a licensed electrician to ensure that it is safe.